No – kids are not safe from the Coronavirus! When the Novel Coronavirus came about, it was thought that mostly the old were susceptible to this deadly virus and that kids were not affected. But there is no truth at all to this and there are cases reported almost all over, where kids have died because of this killer Coronavirus.
The Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), states that the symptoms for COVID-19 that are found in adults, are akin to those found in children.
Here are some cases of kids who have died because of Novel Coronavirus:
- A 12 year-old girl in Belgium.
- A 13 year old boy in the UK.
- A 3 year old child from Iran.
- A 16 year old girl in Paris.
- An infant less than the age of one year, from Illinois, America.
- A 5-year old child in the UK.
- A 6 year old child from Iran.
- A 17 year old boy from America.
Harvard Medical School has cited a study from China, which examined COVID-19 infections in kids and revealed that:
“However, there is a part of the study we need to pay attention to: younger children are at higher risk of running into trouble. Among children less than a year old, 10.6% had severe or critical disease. For children ages 1 to 5, that number was still high at 7.3%. It dropped to 4.2% for 6 to 10 year olds, 4.1% for 11 to 15 year olds, and 3% for those 16 and older. Interestingly, the only child who died was 14 years old.”
Parents should lookout for the following symptoms in kids:
- Refusing to drink, trouble drinking and is making less urine.
- Unusual sleepiness.
- Irritability or pain which is not possible to soothe.
- A high fever which cannot be brought down.
- Any kind of trouble with breathing (Trouble talking or feeding, forceful or rapid breathing, trouble doing usual activities, skin gets a pale or blue color.)
If you notice your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, you must get medical assistance at once.
Veena is a very prolific writer and she has been writing for over a decade. She writes on almost every topic imaginable – and unimaginable. In her spare time, she loves to garden.